Thursday 16 April 2009

The Great Bath



We'd walked a few metres to the hand pump with a bucket, mug, towels & the two kids squealing & shouting in excitement - the excitmenet was no less than that at the Dassra procession in Mysore! The kids were really excited as they were going to be given a bath at the hand pump, under the blue skies....oh how they love it!

As I started pumping water a lizard jumped out from the spout & brought back memories of my childhood & years as a teenager.

Aai has always complained about how quickly I grew independent & wouldn't let anyone give me a bath once I was 4-5 years. I think she was scared of me. I'd run about the house with her trying to catch me & when I'd got a bit of a lead I'd simply dart into the bathroom & arm myself with a mugful of water (since I couldn't reach the high door bolt)....dare anyone try to enter the bathroom! After her warning me on several occassions & me flinging water....full force.....she finally gave up! Ya wild thing I was! :P

I'm no Cleopatra who is said to have bathed herself in milk everyday! Good Heavens! I'd rather use all that milk in basundi (=thickened milk sweet) than in my bath tub! Nor did the idea of a Roman Bath appeal to me. You see...it's not just a bath that I'd enjoy...it was the bathroom...the only place at home where by closing one door I opened another door; one that was a passage to a whole new world.

I was perhaps the most enegetic bathroom singer you've ever known...& undoubtedly the loudest! I was teasingly informed many times that the gentleman living 10 houses away had complained about the noise I made, or that donkeys had collected outside the house! I'd play antakshari with myself...sing all the 'cheap' songs. Aai would say - You can at least practice your classical singing lessons! She didn't get it did she? It was another world for me...despite what they said I felt I couldn't be heard on the other side of the door cause we were in two different worlds.

My world was a place where I could -

- sing & dance to the songs I'd never dared to perform in Aai's presence.... become Amitabh Bachchan with the bathroom mug full of water (since there was no beer!) singing ...Aree o jummaa, meri jaaneman, baahar nikal .... :P!.. to... becoming Madhuri performing ...'Mohini Mohini..Namashkar..kahiye kya sunenge aap?' (the song Ek Do Teen).
Things couldn't have been more surreal.


-shed the tears that I never allowed to escape in Aai's presence ..become the 11 year old who' was all confused and upset after her Dad's demise. The tap & I would gradually quieten as we filled buckets.
Could things have been more real?

In the bathroom I discovered my world....I dreamt....& I decided how to live.

I didn't mind some neighbours calling me Zeenie Baby as a teenager cause Chura Liya was a Bathroom chartbuster...with a badminton raquet I sneaked inside the bathroom & the tap as a mike :D! For mobility I'd just fix a pipe to the tap & move around holding the pipe as my mike, the upturned buckets my drums, the stick used to soak the clothes my drum stick :P If the lamps lit up because of Tansen's rendition in Deepak Raga, my roof shattering singing made Phnom Penh my Lizard & bathroom buddy fall straight off the ceiling in a frenzy! I was obviously enthused by that & subsequently sang even louder in operatic style hoping that one day it would dive straight into the the pot! 'Dhooom'...or ehh.... more realistically...'Splash' I suppose (Lizards are not the most graceful creatures you know) .... Phnom Penh, my first admirer, he'd stare hypnotized when I'd sing aloud. I'd name him so after a Country-Capital lesson in Class 5. How can I ever forget the look on his face when I sang? & can you beleive my Aai & my Sister would try to drive him away from the bathroom...Phnom Penh!!!....the ONE ardent admirer of mine!

If you're not bored let me continue...we had 2 buckets in the bathroom - one dark blue and one red. The dark blue one served the purpose of a night sky and the red was like the gaudy red seats of the Royal Albert Hall or some hall I'd seen a picture of music conductor Zubin Mehta performing. The hard water would leave salt deposits on the buckets - as the red bucket was used to store water it had concentric circles which served as rows. I would put the empty bucket on over my head and sing into it as if im singing solo to an audience at the RA Hall :D Same with the blue one - orbits in my Solar system - me being the Sun around which the planets and stars are about. The light bulb coming through the translucent plastic would create a perfect mahol :) I would stand on a wooden stool ( podium sorts) and deliver lectures into the bucket! Mind you the accoustics in the bucket and closed bathroom with high ceilings was fanastic! At the end of all this when I would FINALLY emerge out of the bathroom my Dad would give me a standing ovation and say - what a good show that was!!! :D And Aai would say - '..and the show must go on' & push my dear elder sister( who was tired of waiting for me to get out) in for a bath and tell her to hurry up! :D

Of course there would be special bathroom treats. Some days shining katoris & spoons called for a Jal Tarang recital in my favourite room. On others I'd take a perforated vessel/sieve & pour warm water through that on top of my head - a warm shower bath! On days I didn't mind pushing my luck I'd soap the bathroom floor & skate in the little place it offered!

Ya ya ...by now I'm sure all your sympathy goes out to my Mother and the soap-in-the-eye baths she tried giving me!

2 comments:

Rajneesh said...

Nobody has made bathroom experience so nostalgic as you did right now. My brother and myself use to have the filmy fights with dishoom in the air....I've even slept there as ppl sent me to get ready fast after dragging this lazy creature from the bed.

Soul Survivor said...

hey thanks! Hahaha ur filmy fight sounds so cute :)! Guess now u've fitted a door bell outside ur bathroom ;)!